This summer in Denver is a real scorcher. As it were, we are all spending a lot more time at home too. These two factors have probably been driving your home cooling bills through the roof. Believe us–you are not alone! This is why we at Denver Home Window Tinting made an exhaustive list on how to save the most money on cooling as possible during these trying times.
- Keep an Eye on Your Thermostat: In the heat of the summer–it is important to keep a close eye on your thermostat if you have central a/c. A 78-degree setting is actually the best setting when it comes to your Denver home being energy efficient. In fact, this will save you 20% over a lower 72-degree setting!
- Use Fans in Every Room: If you are setting your thermostat to 78-degrees, you still may want the interior of your home a bit cooler. Using fans in every room possible works the same way as wind chill–it lowers the feel of the ambient temperature dramatically.
- Open the Windows: You don’t want to open your windows in the heat of the day and let out the air you paid to cool. But after an evening storm or on one of our cool Denver nights–a fan and an open window will cost you less than running the a/c.
- Stop Using Incandescent Light Bulbs: Although incandescent lights only generate a little bit of heat–every small corner you can cut will save you money on cooling bills during the summer. Using LED cuts back on ambient heat and use less electricity overall.
- Lower the Use of Heat Generating Appliances: Dryers, ovens, dishwashers and even microwaves all release heat into your Denver home. During the summer, you will save money on cooling simply by doing something everyone loves (and is delicious) throwing food on the outdoor barbeque as much as possible.
- Maintain Your Cooling Equipment: A/C and central air units both work harder when filters are clogged or covered. dust and grime. Cleaning your units frequently and making sure repairs are done can cut cooling costs by 10-15%.
- Have Window Film Installed: One of the best ways to lower cooling bills in the summer and save loads of cash in the winter too–is by having energy-efficient window film for your Denver home. It has a slew of other benefits that come along with it too–read about those in our window film benefits blog here.
- Keep Curtains and Shades Closed: While window film is fantastic for lower cooling bills and reducing heat in your home, Keeping curtains and shades drawn on any window will further reduce solar heat gain–especially on these 100 degree days we are seeing lately in Denver
While it will take each of the strategies to save the most money on your utilities in the heat of the Denver summer–window film is likely one of the most effective of all of these solutions. Contact us here at Denver Home Window Tinting for more details and to get pricing.